View Single Post
Old 2006-11-14, 14:07   Link #75
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
Depending on how many games can be played without problems (which I suspect is most of them), PS3 BC still deserves a positive side. The 360's BC list is still pathetic after a year, and it's Microsoft's fault that they delegated so many tasks on the Xbox that hardware emulation wasn't a possibility.

It does puzzle me, though, why this is even a problem. If there's a full PS2 chip in the PS3, why should there be any problem with any games at all?
Simple; a chip doesn't govern everything. There's RAM, processor (which I assume is the chip? no clue here...), GPU, etc. One of the biggest problems in emulation is the graphics processing unit (GPU). The PS2 used an inhouse Sony GPU, I believe, whereas the PS3 GPU is developed by NVidia.

There's obviously a much bigger problem when you look at the XBox's BC. XBox used an NVidia GPU, but the XBox 360 uses an ATI GPU.

Also, regarding pixel shaders... yeah, it's just one of those little graphics things that makes a game look better. In short, it's responsible for high dynamic range (HDR), that cool stuff you see in Half Life 2 Lost Coast and beyond. The thing is, Valve was nice enough to EMULATE PS3.0 AND HDR USING 2.0, for all of us without mid-2006 video cards. Bah.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote