View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 23:18   Link #20
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for Major Guilty Crown 2nd Half Spoilers:
I like Souta well enough. He did something stupid, and anger against him was warranted at the time. I'm glad that it's largely resolved.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you on Airsa. In fact, I have a question here...

Spoiler for Arisa question, very spoilerrifc:
I could easily go back and re-watch that segment, but I just saw it this morning and will choose to be a bit lazy instead. I think my memory should suffice:
Spoiler for Arisa sequence of events:

Quote:
Gai provided a much-needed "cool protagonist" during the first half, when Shu was still gradually rounding into shape. I really enjoyed Gai's style and theatrics in the first half. But I think I probably prefer Shu over him at this point in the anime.
I thought that Gai represented some good food for thought. When Shu disagreed with him and his policies, I found myself torn between the two. What Shu said made sense, yet it also seemed too idealistic. At the same time, Gai sent out a ton of mixed signals as to how he regarded others. Did he really care for others, or were they just pawns to him?
He said enough things and took enough actions that I could believe either.

However, what I enjoyed most about Gai came at the midpoint of the series:
Spoiler for Gai's past:

I'd love to reply to more parts of your post, but I also wanted to make a reply to Flawnalyst's post and I'm getting sleepy... so moving on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I think it's safe to conclude that I hate this cast of characters and have not seen a group this unlikeable since The Social Network, mostly for the reason that I find them either boring, half-assed, or downright miscast. Mostly though, it's because the characters are just slaves to the writers. And I mean they're REALLY tools of the writers. The concept behind them is fine, but the execution is just plain horrible.
I really enjoyed the characters, so I'm sorry that you feel that way. Just as we don't all enjoy the same foods or find them equally tasty, how we connect with and interpret the characters will differ from person to person. I don't think it would be possible for anyone to drastically alter your views on the characters, but I'd like to reply to some of your points:

Quote:
In the end, Shu is a wimp that is the victim of poor writing and I hate him for being such an utter tool of the plot.
I didn't participate in discussions about this series, but I know that a lot of people got frustrated with Shu's "wimpyness." I found it to be endearing. He was somewhat indecisive and lacked confidence, but he wasn't so freaked out that he panicked or didn't do anything.
Spoiler for Shu:

I guess it depends on where you're at in your own life. I recently had my confidence shaken, and frequently come to doubt myself. Shu was a character that I could strongly identify with, and who I found to be somewhat inspirational. I'm sure that if I were to watch this series during one of the times in my life where I felt as if I could take on the entire world with one hand tied behind my back, Shu would probably be incredibly frustrating to watch.

Quote:
Spoiler for Inori and Gai:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:
Spoiler for Gai:

I didn't really feel that Inori was like a robot. She fell into the "emotionless girl"-type of character, but truthfully I think that she was unusual for it. Compare her with the archetype of that genre, Rei Ayanami from Evangelion. Rei was almost entirely emotionless throughout the series (the moments where she wasn't were really special), and she didn't really question anything. On the other hand, Inori questioned a good many things. She felt emotions, and questioned what some of them meant. She pursued her feelings. She's not a perfect character, but meh

Quote:
Spoiler for Other characters:
What's wrong with acting one way at home, and acting differently elsewhere - particularly when we're talking the difference between family and a professional environment? I don't exactly go running around my apartment in my underwear, rubbing myself on objects and people (my wife, on the other hand... just kidding! She'd probably get upset if I really said what she does at home, but suffice it to say that I doubt that anyone who works with her would even be able to imagine it if they heard (reading that back over, I realize that it makes it sound really bad... don't read too much into it)), but my demeanor is quite different. I guess there are some people out there who behave the same way no matter where they are, and this part of the series would have been difficult to understand if so.

Quote:
I will say though that if the show had been a little better, I would have said that the tolerable characters could have saved the anime for me.
It really goes to show how important the characters are to a show. If you don't connect with the characters, I don't think that anything - not the music, artwork, or story - can really redeem the series and make it have a great impact.