View Single Post
Old 2014-02-20, 02:59   Link #10
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Buu is definitely one of the worst DBZ arcs. Ever since near the end of Cell (hey look let's endanger the world so we can have a good fight... fucking Goku), Toriyama sent me the vibe "I don't want to do this shit anymore! Shoot me already!"

The main problems is they pretty much wrecked Gohan as a cool character, turned Vegeta into nonsense, and introduced Super Saiyan Vista. Also, Kaioshin is one of the most useless and wimpy characters who the writers shoved in our faces to make us like him.

It was already plodding and just really silly. While characters like Mr Satan are funny, shoving them constantly into an action based series is just annoying. I'm afraid there's little they can really do without being really creative. It was pretty trash in the manga, and the manga is like 5x better than the anime-- so I'm not even using the "it takes over 9000 episodes for Goku to take a shit" card.
Oh yes, the Majin Buu series was the low point of the DBZ series. Hell, when it was aired on Cartoon Network (the Dubbed version) for the first time I couldn't finish it. There were a few reasons I didn't finish it (such as the DBZ series dragging on so much it got.....tiring) but the two main reasons were Goku's arrogance made me want to kill him and the terrible treatment of Goten by both his "supposed" friend (the apple sure doesn't ^%$#@!# fall far from the rotten tree) but also his own mother! A good mother always treats all of her kids with equal love, but it was pretty clear that she favored Gohan alot more than Goten. My other gripes with the Buu series is that the long line of jokes involving Satan got tiring after the Cell saga (ok we get it, he's a Fraud! What's next, you'll be telling me why the skeleton didn't cross the road for the millionth time?!), Satan's daughter got on my nerves with her arrogance (seriously, she is *NOT* a good match for Gohan!), Krillin should have stayed dead (as well as his "wife"), Gohan was set up to be the new hero of the DBZ series until at the last minute where Goku took that spot from him (That whole sub-plot of Gohan having his "true powers" unlocked just went out the window, and was a waste of time!), and all the typical cliches of the DBZ universe was there and then some (and thus tiring). The whole thing just felt......tiring. I think the series should have ended at the end of the Frieza saga, it would have been a great way to end the franchise. Hell I'd forgive Toryama if he stretched it into the Cell saga, but the Majin Buu series was unneeded. Hell, don't get me started on that abomination I'd like to call Dragonball GT ( I can't believe I wanted this thing to come to the states all those years ago!).

Sorry about the long wall of text comprised of unorganized rantings, I have alot of say about the Majin Buu series. DBZ should have ended at the end of Namek and there should have been only 3, maybe 4 movies instead of the dozen movies and TV specials we got. The series just....annoys me now, which is why I never bothered watching the latest DBZ movie (the one that came out last year. Seriously, is it really any good?). Last year Screwattack's Death battle pitted Superman and Goku in a battle of pure strength. They should have had both warriors compete as to who was the most annoying.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote