View Single Post
Old 2012-03-21, 20:01   Link #20
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think the romance factor will be the hardest to include.

Forsaken Infinity recommends the excellent Bakeneko, Mononoke and Monster, but romance really isn't a part of any of these. Nina might have a bit of crush on Dr. Tenma in Monster, and Kayo is similarly struck by the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke (who wouldn't be?), but neither of these rises to the level of a romance. Some of the Apothecary stories have romantic and sexual themes, but the main characters are not themselves romantically inclined.

Regardless you should still watch all three of these shows, since they are among the best anime series I've watched over the past decade. I nearly always shed a tear during the final episode of Bakeneko.

Ghost Hound has a touch of romance, but it's more of a "puppy love" relationship given the age of the characters (he's 13, and she's 10).
Yes indeed. If you want a drama with psychological horror and ends in tragedy, and also wish for some romance in there, chances are that the romance will be a twisted one and will probably take the backseat to everything else.

I am sure the OP wants romance as in love between man and woman. But I will still argue that Monster is romantic as in its very nature of a journey full of adventure is romantic. It has its moments of romance that come close to conventional romance, such as Nina's crush on Dr. Tenma, Tenma's love life with Eva, Johann's infatuation with his sister etc. but I consider the whole show to fit the definition of a romantic tragedy. And most of the other recommendations I made were made with similar thoughts backing my reasoning. They include romance between man and woman here and there, and some of them are indeed significant to the story, but they are romantic more because of their romantic nature.

But I understand that most people have a very specific sort of romance in mind when they ask for one. That's why I recommended only the very best of shows so as to not waste the OP's time ;_;