Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
1. Satsuki is not working for an internet company
I never said that she did.

Quote:
2. The publication's bosses are the readers, not the reviewers who work for the publication.
Without a readership, a reviewer is out of a job. So a reviewer is every bit as accountable to his or her readership as s/he is to his or her direct boss. If not moreso.

Even from a purely pragmatic point of view, what Satsuki is doing here is risky stuff. Suppose a lot of people who were actually at these Inns end up reading the overly negative reviews, and rightly notice that they're garbage? Those same people can then protest the reviews, bringing controversy and shame on to the publication that Satsuki wrote the reviews in. Satsuki herself could easily get caught up in that, and have her career ruined.

A true professional would object to such needless risks (or at least not partake in them). These risks are ones that undermine the integrity of the profession itself.

Quote:
For a respectable publication that presumes editorial independence. Yes.
For a reviewer who writes what her bosses tell her to write. No.
I disagree.

Quote:
What is the "continuous problem" here? That Ohana is sad?
Yeah, frankly. Unless you think that a parent shouldn't be concerned whatsoever with the happiness or contentedness of his or her child.

Quote:
First of all, my position is that everyone should be free to demand changes in our government. But this is beside the point. I am saying that you should not condemn the people who are afraid to speak out against corruptions because they lacked the courage to do so.
I may be misreading a comment or two on this thread, but I don't see anybody here condemning Satsuki for that specifically.

It is not just that Satsuki is turning a blind eye to such corruptions (which I wouldn't like, but I could easily forgive). It's that she's an active participant in them, and doesn't even feel the slightest sense of guilt over them.

Quote:
What you are alluding to is whether one should have the freedom to stand up for their own belief.
Precisely. And I'm saying that in my belief what Satuski is doing is deserving of criticism. As is what the publication in general is doing, of course.

Quote:

Your earlier post criticized Satuski for failing to speak out.
There is more to my criticism than that alone.

Quote:
Yes. But you are drawing other motivations based on speculations (which may be proven true later, but not right now) not mentioned in the series yet.
This anime has already make it abundantly clear that Satuski and her mom do not see eye-to-eye and had a falling out with one another.

It's hardly a great leap of logic to then speculate that Satuski's harsh review of her mother's Inn was motivated, in part, but Satuski's personal issues with her mothers.

Quote:
Wal-Mart has destroyed some jobs, I am sure (though I don't take this position).
Bad analogy.

There's a difference between costing jobs through honest competition in the marketplace, and costing jobs through dishonest reviews.

Quote:
Writing a false review is libel, which can be fought in court.
There's your crime right there then. There's no question that these are false reviews.

Quote:

As I have mentioned in the upstream, professionalism has nothing to do with following lofty ideals or becoming the most honest person alive.
1. Strawman argument. Nobody is expecting Satsuki to be "the most honest person alive".

2. For some professions, at least, honesty and professionalism do go hand-in-hand. I would definitely consider a professional reviewer to be one such profession.

Quote:
Professionalism is about following the corporate culture, mores, and expectations.
Where does "corporate" come into play? Not all professions are corporate in nature.

Professionalism is about living up to the standards set by other members of your profession. And the standards of professional reviewers involve giving honest reviews.

Quote:
Not a parental failure. Being cold to your kids is unpleasant, but it's not a parental failure.
Most child developmental psychologists would disagree.

Satsuki may care about her daughter at a superficial level, but not to any significant degree, in my opinion.