Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-22, 18:32   Link #2778
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think the idea is that sometimes things you expect to have an affect turn out to not lead to anything at all. Like I said, Eureka seven Ao was generally going for anticlimactic stuff and the things they made climactic were the unconventional things instead.
The thing about the anti-climax is, it's really hit or miss. On this matter I agree with tvtropes' assessment, "because if the audience is getting set up for a climax, they expect it to be followed through on. Therefore, except for a few rare occasions, an anticlimax should only be used for humorous purposes..."

Take wikipedia's example of an anti-climax, War of the Worlds. In the end, the big, bad, earth destroying aliens are defeated by a friggin cold. Highly anti-climactic. But you know what? In this instance, it works. It works and people like it because it impacts the story and characters. Hell, it impacts them in the biggest way possible -- it brings an end to the antagonists. An anti-climax doesn't get any more relevant than that.

In Elena's case, it doesn't work as well, because it has no bearing on anything, for reasons I already discussed.

Quote:
And I did care about it for Elena's sake because i was already invested in her character. It did, in fact, give her some actual depth.
Quote:
Plus it greatly expanded upon Elena's character which was more than enough for me.
Please tell me how? Not snarky, legitimately confused as to what depth you saw, particularly since we barely see her at all after this moment.

Quote:
Maybe it would've been nice if Elena had more of an effect but would I call it a big issue?
She was one of the three closest people to our protagonist on the show. She had entire episodes dedicated to creating mystery about her past. Yeah, I'd say that makes it a pretty big issue, when such a promoted character makes so little impact.

Kazu-kun's already echoed the rest of my sentiments on most of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Holy crap Xagzan, you are just amazing!
Well thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The plot just ended up retroactively smearing the character development and conclusion of the original series. It also made absolutely no fucking sense at several points throughout.
O/T, but I've been watching the redlettermedia review of Star Wars Episode 1, appropriately, and can't help but read this in Plinkett's voice
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote