View Single Post
Old 2009-11-25, 20:00   Link #19694
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
We agree on most stuff, so just gonna hit a couple of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
"Stun" setting really stretches credibility when you see the very same Wave Motion Gun destroy bridges, reduce buildings to rubble and create enormous craters in the ground--but leave only a few scuff marks on the targeted mage.
I just see that as it being magic. A mage being able to mentally set "okay, this will hit inorganic things in this way, and stun humanoids." And being able to do it differently with the same spell, depending on situation; all set up as part of the "casting prep time." But it's only my own rationalization theory. :P
Quote:
Nanoha overdoing it was stressed heavily during the training episodes at the beginning of season three, then thrown out the window when Nanoha's in the Cradle whittling her life away with the Blaster System. Bit of a wallbanger there.
This goes back to what Signum said in that meeting with the forwards. "There are times when overdoing it is acceptable." Nanoha overdoing it in Seasons 1 and 2 were acceptable, but after that, she should have taken it easy to allow her body to recover. The enemy that did her in, was a weak one. She didn't tell her friends that she had been stretching things, and it went too far.

That was Tea's whole problem: she was overdoing it in places where she shouldn't have been, in a desperate attempt to prove herself.

So the overdoing it in the Cradle was understandable and acceptable.
Quote:
FFT needs more Hayate-centric fics.
Hmm, I'll consider this, and see if I can come up with a few. It's hard to make decent ones since she's a squishy artillery piece.
Quote:
That's my goal, but saying "MGLN with realism" gets just as much hate. How many times do I have to say it's an AU before people stop complaining about how I'm not following canon? ^^;
Don't worry, I think we all understand. Part of this is just in response to the guy who was harpin' on ya. I think we all understand that it's AU, and beam spam can have serious consequences if there's only one real setting (and it is believable that it does; my own theory is just a rationalization for the spells in the show).

But in agreement with Shiny, I'd say just don't focus so much on calling it dark or whatever. Just call it an AU, and say it'll take what you consider a more realistic track. I don't know how you plan to describe it for a synopsis, but something to the effect of "This Nanoha is learning that the world of magic can be a harsh teacher."

Anyway, just pre-fic food for thought. Hope it turns out well.^^
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote