Thread: School in Japan
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-05, 16:33   Link #75
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
The longest break is from mid-July to the end of August—the hottest days of the year, where being in the classroom is pretty much unbearable—but students have summer homework, and pick up where they left off when they come back.

They get about a week for "winter vacation" (over New Year's) and a week or two for "spring vacation" between the end of one academic year and the start of the next, but both of those have homework, as well.

Also, club activities never really stop. When students have vacation, it's not like they don't come to school at all. They still have to attend whatever extracurriculars they're normally involved in.
As far as I'm aware, students in most if not all countries have homework and club/extracurricular activities during vacations, so it's not a uniquely Japanese phenomenon. In Hong Kong, I had school orchestra practice right through summer and also a nice pile of summer homework (despite the fact that I went to an international school). Even my cousins in the US have marching band practice during vacations and need to analyse at least a dozen books for various AP courses before the start of the school year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Yeah, as far as I know in Japan SMS are not even exist anymore, it was replaced by email years ago.
I wonder why mobile e-mail is not more popular in other countries. GSM/UMTS phones have had the capability to support mobile e-mail for several years already. It's a lot more versatile than SMS and packet communications are, on a per kilobyte basis, cheapter than SMS too. Definitely doesn't require fancy 3G technology like the rest of the Japanese mobile scene...
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote