View Single Post
Old 2010-10-12, 04:03   Link #395
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by white wing View Post
yes, rap is the singing technique used while hip hop is the actual music, so hip hop can be rap or not and rapping can be used with other types of music too

as for my favorite music genre, i love mostly metal (and since the most songs and cd's i have are metal) so metal is like my "main"

but i listen to a lot of other genres too, voted for metal anyway
not quite

Hip-Hop is the overarching cultural movement that rap is an element of.
Hip-Hop is best defined by it's four main, and arguably a fifth element.
1. B-boying/ breakdancing
2. Graffiti artwork
3. Turntable-ism
4. Rap/ emceeing
5. (debatable) beatboxing

Beatboxing is debatable as in the early days of hip-hop, beatboxing wasn't very big. But in the same way that rap was spawned from turntable-ism and eventually grew to be its own element, I feel that in recent years, beatboxing has also gone a long way and grown into its own element.

People normally use the terms hip-hop and rap interchangeably out of convenience and often to separate commercial sellouts from more conscious artists. This is perhaps because rap has become such a mainstream term while the term hip-hop is strongly associated with the original culture and as such is closely associated to the original uncommercialized idea of rap.