View Single Post
Old 2006-05-19, 11:20   Link #1026
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Putting the merits of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu aside... succintly said if the combination of elements attract you then watch it, if it doesn't drumming at the fans of this show that you don't think it's that great isn't really going to change their minds, like I doubt they'll change yours...

This is both kinda off-topic and kinda on... I just started watching To Heart 2 recently and noticed that Sasamori Karin seems like a predecessor of Suzumiya Haruhi. Amongst her bag of tricks is: forced recruitment, (sexual) blackmail, UFO/occult nut, weird 'alien' markings on the school field (drawn by Ruuko tho), "must investigate!"...
Haruhi is the more dynamic version of Karin, and the plus point is that Haruhi's antics literally make the world tick.

In TH2, Takaaki puts up with Karin's antics, Kyon actually knows how to make witty sarcastic comments time and again to enrich the mood.

For some shows, you either like them or you hate them, there really is no in between. We do not intend to convince the doubters that it's great, and neither are we obliged to. We're not some evil cult or anything.

At first, I thought "What's all the fuzz about Suzumiya Haruhi?" So I decided to have a go, and I decided I liked this, as simple as that. Or if I hate it, I would just think, "This is too complicated/silly/etc. I'm giving this a skip." Then I'll just leave it as that, instead of coming on and complain before they've even watched a single scene or read a single sentence of the novel.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote