View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 16:48   Link #691
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Jesus, what did I start.

surerman: Nisekoi is a part of a very common genre of fiction known as romantic comedy, wherein the story is a mixture of romance and, well, comedy. I...really don't know how to make it simpler.

And Waven's point -- and mine, delivered in a single line because I really didn't think it needed more -- is that romantic comedy fiction is, for the most part, highly predictable. I don't necessarily mean the events, as in whether I could predict what's coming next chapter or not, but if you've watched and read and encountered enough of them then it's intuitive to grasp how the character dynamics of a given work goes.

Chitoge and Raku's relationship is the kind which is called by the foremost authority of fiction on the Internet, TVTropes, as Slap Slap Kiss, which, I quote, is "all but universal in romantic stories." Basically, Boy and Girl meets in certain interesting circumstances; Boy and Girl bickers a lot over this and that; Boy and Girl slowly falls in love with time as they bicker back and forth; Boy and Girl realize their feelings for each other, Happy End.

It's a very, very popular trope. It's how romantic comedy works in Hollywood films, in Shounen Jump, in Asian dramas, in Jane Austen, so on and so forth. You have to be pretty damn insulated from romantic comedy fiction to don't know what we're talking about and why I think it's "Chitoge's show." It has nothing whatseover to do with whether we are fans of Chitoge or Onodera or Mari or Bodyguard-chwan or Onodera's cute little friend. It's not because I or Waven or anyone likes Chitoge better that we think that the tsundere gorilla is the special girl in this story, it's because Nisekoi is a comfortably normal romantic comedy and we understand that.

P.S. I'm afraid to ask, but... the fuck is that Killers thing you're always going on about anyway...?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote