View Single Post
Old 2007-06-09, 16:11   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The language does have some information content that may be alarming but only in the "good lord this girl needs someone to help her" sense. Her pranks are meant to alarm. Some of the events are meant to make potential readers ask "whats going on?" and once they're engaged, feed them a interesting character drama.

Aye, my wife and sons have browsed the material. Her japanese is lousy (though she's japanese-american) but my two sons have also glanced over it (one is taking college level japanese, the other is in high school) and all their responses were "its dramatic, the comedy masks a serious situation.... its probably best suited for 16+ ..... but whats the big deal?"
(a collection of responses).

My wife concluded that though it had over-blown fantasy elements and some questionable eyecatches and chapter page art, that it had something useful to say to teachers who might have to deal with children who act out (certainly less controversial than the "very special episode" type of show or some of the horrific CSI/Bones/Law&Order/N3mbers episodes I've seen in the last two weeks). N3mbers had an episode focusing on chatroom predators, underage kids, and vigilante beating people to death with a baseball bat quite graphically portrayed.

I think the defamation of the story is driven by an almost fundamentalist irrational group (and I don't mean in a religious sense but in a zealot sense) and fired up by severely undereducated mob..
I think that segments of society and even people in important positions are *so* out of touch ... and I'll say it: undereducated that they live in completely mythic realities informed by anxiety-ridden spouts from "News you need to know" and "Fair and Balanced" ... all designed to maximize the fear through the next commercial break.

...and they seem to be terrified of what is a rather comparatively mild psychological character drama with some comedic breaks.