View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 16:04   Link #183
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That is the reason why the system must be scrapped: if it is that easely exploitable, its very flaws hardly cover the needs, and the benefits don't offset the drawbacks.

Also, it is very unlikely members would notice such individuals, unless 1) they are part of that clique 2) they are victims of that.
Simply put, we have encountered far too many abuse in both posrep grind and negrep snipe/revenge spree that it just bring too many inconveniences on either the short and long term.

And really, I still don't get why people can't use VM/PM/social groups or even personal messenger to convey and share their ideas. It is just a damn click away of doing so, and it is actually more beneficial on the long run. That and the fact basing people on bogus value that has no real scale whatsoever surely convinced us a rep system is absolutely obsolete.

So in a nutshell, removing the system forces some people to actually approach directly the said member they intended to comment on, and basically cut the chase with people abusing a point/rep system.

Actually I agree 100%, the rep/nep system is really not needed. I have done the whole pm someone thing when I think what they said made a whole lot of since. . .and for the trolls. . .there's the ignore button on said troll's profile! I use that religiously on forums like these (I think I've only ignore three people here so far) on another forum that Triple R mentioned in which there was much more tolerance for bashing of other members, he forgot to mention that there. . .that site is pretty much the end result, of elitist, cliquey old members who bash on the new members, and/or bash on members who stress opinions that are different from what the cliques agree on. . .i.e. everything about naruto is bad, one piece is the god of all creativity, magi, claymore and shingeki no kyojin are flawless etc etc. and when someone says other wise, they get flamed, name called you name it. . .and everyone jumps in! Its really sad there and new members are pretty much driven away after a while. . . on that site I have about 70% of the posters on my ignore list because of their abusive behavior. . .to the point that I saw no point in going there anymore. the only system they have is the title system from being a long time member/frequent poster . . .and that was abused like crazy to the point that I mentioned above.

I think no system is needed, these forums arent a popularity contest. . .they're just forums! If someone wants to be "popular" they can go run for office! and there are a lot of ways to combat trolls. . .the ignore feature is one of them. ..also the REPORT feature is a GREAT way to combat trolls, it helps the mods focus their attention on certain people that need to be looked at. All the tools the community needs are already needed, rep and nep are pretty much outdated, and redundant.

so I actually welcome this for a change, it'll be a bummer for those who wanted to see their green bars go up and feel "better" than other posters but, they can handle it... or just go somewhere else, and leave the forum discussions to people who actually want to have a forum discussion for the sake of discussion, not to win a popularity contest.

so yes, take the rep system down and DON'T replace it with anything. These are forums, not reddit.

Also...this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I feel sad that some of the arguments here depend on the assumption that the reader doesn't have the ability to judge the quality of posts and have to rely on some bar. .
Pretty much. . .hell if I can figure out who's a good poster (I was able to before I noticed the rep system) I'm pretty sure others do too! really there is no excuse grand enough to warrant keeping any kind of system like this active, the cons far outweigh the pros of any system, to me it seems like people are upset because now their source of ego boosts are going away. . .and really that's the whole point. The forums are here for discussion, NOT boosting our ego's. . .if someone wants that, well go become a rock star or something lol, you get ego boosting AND groupies! #sexualwinning

P.S. Personally, I think the bars should be removed as well. . .wipe everything clean.

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2012-12-16 at 16:16.