Thread: Higurashi Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-19, 01:19   Link #1723
CatOfTime

I've watched the Higurashi anime series (Higurashi no naku koro ni, kai & rei) and am currently collecting the manga series in English to my book collection. I've read the wikipedia article about the series but I still have some questions regarding the arcs.

If I have understood correctly the main series goes like this (marked the ones that have been released/will be released for sure in English with italic writing):

Higurashi no naku koro ni is the “question” part of the series and consists of these four arcs:
Abducted by Demons Arc (Onikakushi-hen)
Cotton Drifting Arc (Watanagashi-hen)
Curse Killing Arc (Tatarigoroshi-hen)
Time Killing Arc (Himatsubushi-hen)
All of these have already been released in English.

Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai is the “answer” part of the series and consists of these four arcs:
Meakashi-hen (Eye Opening Arc)
Tsumihoroboshi-hen (Atonement Arc)

Minagoroshi-hen (Massacre Arc)
Matsuribayashi-hen (Festival Accompanying Arc)
All of these have been released in Japanese except for the last volume of Matsuribayashi-hen. Both Meakashi-hen and Minagoroshi-hen have gotten an English release date (some volumes are already out) and supposedly Minagoroshi-hen and Matsuribayashi-hen are going to be released afterwards.

Higurashi no naku koro ni Rei is an extra part of the story and consists of these arcs:
Saikoroshi-hen (Dice Killing Chapter)
Batsukoishi-hen (Penalty Loving Chapter)
Hirukowashi-hen (Daybreak Chapter)
Out of these three arcs only Hirukowashi-hen has been released as a manga version in Japanese but if the wikipedia entry is correct there’ll be a manga version of Saikoroshi-hen in the future. These arcs might be released in English much later.

Then there are some manga only arcs that are extra stories:
Onisarashi-hen (Demon Exposing Arc)
Yoigoshi-hen (Beyond Midnight Arc)

Utsutsukowashi-hen (Reality Breaking Arc)
Kokoroiyashi-hen (Heart-Healing Arc)
All of these arcs have been released in Japanese. Onisarashi-hen and Yoigoshi-hen have been released in English. It’s unknown if the Utsutsukowashi-hen and Kokoroiyashi-hen will be released in English.

+ there's a number of exclusive arcs for DS,PS2 etc. that will most likely never meet a manga version more unlikely an English translation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So if Yen Press decides to release only the most vital arcs (even though they have released already two extra story arcs) are Minagoroshi-hen & Matsuribayashi-hen the only arcs that do not have an official release date?

Are the Utsutsukowashi-hen and Kokoroiyashi-hen a good add to the story or do you think these arcs will never be released in English?

Has there been any news about the Saikoroshi-hen or Batsukoishi-hen being made into manga versions?

After Matsuribayashi-hen gets the volume 8 the arc should be complete? This means that the main arcs (question and answer) are complete (manga versions)?

Thank you for answering and sorry for the troublesome questions
CatOfTime is offline   Reply With Quote