View Single Post
Old 2011-09-25, 10:00   Link #3
Midonin
Last Engage

HSI The Final - Rewind. Press Play. Branch Out.

Very nice finale for the series as a whole. In some ways, it's back to square one for everyone, but because of the net sum of their experiences over the course of the series, all of them have changed for the better. That's the best sort of ending anyone could ask for. And it's not the only series this season to end with something everyone cares about not making it, but there's a silver lining to everything.

I got into this series mostly because of the hot spring setting. And there was no shortage of swimsuit scenes or bath scenes over the course of the series, but the characters, the concepts about work and family and ambition and all of that, and the comedy helped keep me there. The series as a whole turned out to be a lot less serious than I thought it was going to be, which helped to keep me tethered for it, with the exception of one or two weeks.

To elaborate on the characters a bit, my favorites were probably Nako and Jiromaru. Nako for being level headed but with her own quirks that make her as fun as the rest of the cast, and Jiromaru because, due to a complex and layered series of circumstances, seeing an artist trying to reach their dreams in spite of failure inspires not scorn in me, but sympathy. I admire his gumption, and in some ways, he has quite a bit in common with Taketo Akutagawa.

This is one of those series that falls outside my comfort zone (the drama part) while also falling into it (the slice of life comedy part), but either way, it broadened my horizons just as it did the characters'. I'm glad I could stick with it.