Thread: Licensed Yosuga no Sora
View Single Post
Old 2010-10-26, 01:30   Link #814
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Kazuha's Heart

Regardless of series or the genre, omnibussing will always cause a story to be compressed, and this is my biggest complaint with the series and this arc so far. It feels really, REALLY rushed, because the essentials of the Kazuha route it would seem only existed for 2 episodes, with the first two episodes of the series being the typical common routes of the series, with the end of episode two being the branch point where all other routes begin. For those not familiar with the Visual Novel format, consider it the point where the stories diverge depending on the choice of the player/main character, with each choice essentially leading to a specific girl.

That said, two episodes it really cutting it close, and though I am unfamiliar with Kazuha’s route I can still tell that it was rushed to fit two episodes, with the probable cuts here and there. Kazuha’s central drama as we can see is her guilt as a younger sister and her blaming her father for abandoning her half sister.

nd while Kazuha’s feelings may be understandable, I can’t help but think that it really all stems from a misunderstanding on her and her father’s parts, mostly because she thinks her father is abandoning Akira when in fact she is able to be there and see when he does show that he does love her as a father. Kazuha’s anger and hate seems misplaced to a degree because she made a hasty conclusion from faulty information, and immediately believed that their father abandoned Akira just because he doesn’t “show” it publicly.

Maybe we can say that he’s trying to do it discretely, but he’s trying to do it nonetheless. I can’t fault him for that because extramarital affairs are generally frowned upon, but that’s no reason to abandon your own flesh and blood. He shows Akira the same love he shows Kazuha, and it took Kazuha all this time to realize that love itself takes many different forms, and being different doesn’t mean it is absent.

What episode review would be complete without discussing SEX.

Yeah considering the amount of masturbatory fanservice this series has already shown, I guess the creators thought might as well go and do it, which is pretty much bordering the line between ecchi and downright hentai. The fansubs I got obviously got butchered by censors, especially the breast massages and the finger actions. Well you got to give them credit for getting away with what they did, even if it’s likely to leave people more than wanting.

Which means we can expect the same level of controlled gratuity for every arc. For the Sora shippers, you know what that means.

Sex sells, but it doesn’t always save.

So in the end my point still stands that Kazuha’s central story problem felt a bit forced, slightly artificial and rushed. To me the conflict between her and her father felt a bit trite and convenient that could have easily been resolved years ago if he just told her, and if she didn’t simply jump to conclusions about her father and her half sister. Then again, we wouldn’t have a plot if it was that simple, so as the starter arc for the series I could probably forgive it for its weakness.

It just felt rather weak all around. Not terrible, not exactly good, and not bad either. Just absolutely average. I’ll hope that the succeeding arcs are stronger than this.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote