View Single Post
Old 2005-12-27, 18:02   Link #57
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
This always seems to happen with competitive "shipping". I noticed it first with a lot of online fans of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer show. At first, it was hard for me to believe. I decided to do some research and began looking at forums for other shows. I saw the same thing over and over again. At one point (this was several years ago), I checked out a forum for the televison show, Smallville. Now, anyone who has ever heard of Clark Kent knows who he eventually ends up with, but was happening there too! Fans of one girl had gone so far as to concoct wild, implauable scenarios to take into account (the yet to appear) Lois Lane.

These things always seem to take on the exact same pattern:
  1. Ill will towards the competition.
  2. Ill will towards the lead character (coupled with more ill will towards the competition).
  3. Complaints about the writing.

I was near certain that soon after Rin confessed to Asa, we would see complaints about the writing. It took longer than I thought, but it always seems to happen. The success of a favorite character always seems to get entangled and confused with quality. It's like a force of nature.

I have issues with the writing. As I looked back on the series, the central conceit that allowed it to get beyond Episode 7 (and maybe even Episode 1) really strained my ability to suspend disbelief. My problem isn't with the outcome. It's how long it took to get there. Often, these harem romances have less to do with getting two people together, and more to do with keeping them apart for the duration of almost an entire series. That's where I think the credibilty issues lie, and where I often have problems with the writing. But that seems to be a force of nature too.

My problem with the writing didn't begin until ep 21. Before that there was ep 19-20 when I was aggressively supporting Kaede but I had no problem with the writing so far. And before that, I just enjoyed the series, even if Sia got dumped Poor Sia... And for no reason... But at the time, we had about 8 episodes to go, so I thought that that's part of some plan, not just some crap to dismiss Sia and move to Asa. And I believed that the writers knew what they were doing until ep 21. Ep 21 is one of the worst resolutions of a plot issue I've ever seen. And even though the pattern may exist, that doesn't mean NO writing is crappy. Maybe it is. Or maybe we're always expecting too much. Or maybe the writing follows the same patterns, THUS yielding the same results for the fanbase.

You actually mean people debated on whether Clark would fall for Lois? Isn't that pretty much set in stone? We knew that from ages past At least as an adult, not in Smallville. Teenage characters usually suck, and although Clark really tries most of the time, he does some things that are way too stupid