View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 09:32   Link #106
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's like asking what's more important in a processor - the logic gates, or the wiring between them? Without either, you have no processor anymore. Even assuming male and female brain are achitectured differently, it's not enough to conclude one is better than the other for any given task. Besides, I assume they're talking about frontal lobes, where most of the thinking process occurs. Nervgear probably scans another part of the brain, responsible for motion.
Actually we have quite a lot of evidence that interconnectivity is much more important then the processors themselves. At least in terms of our current technology, if you consider our modern monster crunchers basically you have the ones which are really really expensive where you try to fit as much of the processing ability onto the same die, basically trying to reduce the latency (aka slowness over the interconnect). Then of course you have ones like SETI/Boinc which are the opposite, but you pick problems which time isn't an issue. Data is delivered to the node and within a set time (really really slow in HPC terms) the processed data is passed to a control do which does automagical stuffs to it.

Now in terms of something like NerveGear which is time dependant the problem is closer to the first example where reducing latency and having more bandwidth is very high priority.

BTW note I'm not saying one can't do without the other, just one has much larger overall improvements then the other. A good example is CPU vs GPU, and Nvidia can quite smugly tell us all how much better lots of pipes and cores are vs a single (well 4ish) big expensive cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We're talking about fictitious technology relating to a subject neither of us are experts in. Sure, whatever, Nervgear works better on females. But not because of gray or white matter. It's because the brain leprechauns of girls get more practice texting on their teeny smartphones.
Not to sure what I wrote to receive this response from you, I'll take it as a light hearted joke as I'm just having fun speculating about any advantages of the NerveGear related to any real life info we have.