View Single Post
Old 2011-08-30, 23:59   Link #48
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

No I don't misunderstand what a director does. But this is one thing for sure, a director is the one who gives the final OK to anything in a production, it's his job to reign in the production and make sure it fulfills its objectives in entertainment. When a series turns out good, that's a sign of a good director.

Other areas need talent too of course, but a director is the single mos important thing to any anime production, especially if its anime original.

And yes of course determining whether a director or not is stellar is subjective. No shit. It's my opinion of course that these directors are just not that all stellar. People are free to disagree afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It's easy enough to say they should've used a "stellar" director but who would you consider stellar? Stellar directors aren't exactly falling off trees, a lot of them would have no interest in the types of shows P.A Works have done and would they have been a viable option in the first place?

Besides Seiji Kishi and Ando are definitely more than above average when it comes to directing, no one could've saved Angel Beats.... and Junji Nishimura has done quality stuff.
I'm not denying what you're saying, but still, with a studio that makes so many anime originals, and has the production values it does have, you'd think a more famous and well respected director would come forth and try to create something with them. Then again, not exactly sure how they employ directors in this business.

In the end, I'll give it a fair assessment. Just saying that nothing about the director's name makes me think that I'm in for something special, ala the recent Madoka or Steins;Gate staff, but that's just me. More interested in the source material itself to garner my interest in the show.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote