View Single Post
Old 2012-11-02, 22:37   Link #425
AmericanFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
And I have to admit that even as a kid, I never saw the appeal of Mamoru...
Always thought he was boring and couldn't understand what Usagi could possibly see in him. I think my precise objections were that he was "embarrassing, weak and boring"- I was clearly a child with very high standards in men and a bit liberal with the harshness- what can I say?!
Now, if I watched it today, I'd probably think he was alright but unremarkable - especially when male!Seiya is so much more fun to watch. But there's nothing essentially wrong with the character, he's just not particularly interesting: which is okay, the story is about the girls, he doesn't need to stand out.

But honestly, if there was one thing this show could fix compared to the original, it should be decent focus and distribution of powers for the entire cast. In the end, not only was the story Usagi's, but so was every battle. I couldn't take the rest of the cast seriously at some point, realising they were only there to weaken whoever they were facing enough for Usagi to deliver a convenient killing blow. Some "guardians" they were
This.

I loved Sailor Moon as a 12 year old (even with the somewhat craptastic English dub) and still like it for nostalgic reasons, but now I can see many places in both animation and character development that need to be improved. Seriously, about half the show is taken up by the Sailor Scouts transformation and attack sequences. And, with the exception of the climatic battle, their fights tend to put me to sleep.

Also, is Usagi this annoying in the manga? I've never read it. What I do know is that for about half of the first season I found myself unable to relate to her and wishing that she would stop whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I thought so too. When the 2nd season came around, I thought the Moonlight Knight(eng name) was, like the coolest **** ever! I was hoping that he'd make a comeback, esp since I expected him to get a power-up like all of the other sailor scouts, but I don't think he ever did. He pretty much became useless once the season with the new 3 scouts(Ura/Nep/Plu) came in, at least from what I remember =0\.
Moonlight Knight was also my favorite. It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to recall him being a more active participate in battle when he was in that mode as opposed to when he was Tuxedo Mask.

Mamoru went from being an active participate in story to basically being Usagi's boy toy. It's sad really. I would have liked to have seen more development between them. Maybe this new anime will fix some of that? Well, one can only hope.