View Single Post
Old 2010-04-18, 19:48   Link #1
Falkor

Torikagoshou no Kyou mo Nemutai Juunintachi (The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor)

Torikagoshou no Kyou mo Nemutai Juunintach is a light novel by KABEI Yukako and TEKUNO Samata, serialized in Dengeki Bunko. The manga adaptation is done by TAKARAI Rihito and is serialized in Sylph. the light novel has 6 volumes so far, while the manga has only 2, one of them so far scanlated.

This thread is intended for the manga adaptation of Torikagoshou no Kyou mo Nemutai Juunintachi. Please, do NOT post spoilers from the light novel.

A spoiler is anything that discloses an event, character, plot or other information before it is revealed within the specific work being discussed---Spoiler Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Paradise
16-year-old Kizuna stalks the city at night, flirting with middle-aged salary men and coercing them out of their money. The thrill should be enough to satiate her, but Kizuna remains unsatisfied with her everyday life… That is, until the beautiful Inoue Yuki, also living in “Birdcage Manor” approaches Kizuna with a job proposition- to model in the nude for Yuki’s cousin, a painter and fellow resident Yusei Asai!
Links: Light Novel and Manga

a few comments:

I was looking for something new to read, and I just so happened to come across with this little gem here. Yes, the title caught my attention---it has such a nice and interesting word play---but what really prompted me to read this manga was the cover. I'm often told not to judge a book by its cover; but I was not wrong to pick this one up based on my instinct. I'm just so happy to have finished the first volume; and it has so far exceeded my expectations. The art is gorgeous, clean, and pleasant to the eyes---a pleasure to read and look at. it also has good composition and a nice balance of dark and lights---neither overdone nor lacking, though some of the pages (during the flashbacks) may have benefited with some more dark in them. The paneling is varied, interesting and effective; when it comes to the story, it just works. Probably the only thing I didn't quite like in this regard was having to see a-bit-of-too-much-cramped-text in some of the pages, but so far, so good.

oh and I loved the characters designs; they have that little something that appeals to my senses---the girls are especially nice, methinks.

wow, I like the male character of this manga, which doesn't happen very often; he is quite a refreshing character, too: cool, quiet, determined, and serious about his work. I think his characterization is spot-on; as a fellow aspiring artist (hopefully), I can understand his demeanor when a nude female poses in front of him. you can say it's a normal reaction; that's how we, as artists, behave with our model. We can only think of our work: the shapes, the quality of the line---what we can create with our subject. there's little room for anything else in our minds if it's not related to our creative endeavor. and I can also see how his worries for Kizuna have a place in his character; you would like to have a model with really fair skin---and not bruised all over. By the way, I think he should have gone ahead and have his cousin pose nude for him. :P

Kizuna is a strange girl, but so far she has been doing fine. our heroine is sincere, honest, and a very likable person, too. Being self-conscious about posing nude adds a lot of charm to her character, as well as being self-conscious of her lack of curves and cleavage (though I would personally preferred her the way she is, :P); plus, I don't think there's anything she can do with someone as emotionless as her employer. I think that over the course of 5 chapters she has grown considerably, from the moment she leaves that group of girls (not without a brawl) to how she shows remorse of her past actions and starts to worry for her friend. I think she is a very interesting character, with room to grow even more.

Another aspect that I like of this manga is how the relationship between Asai and Kizuna has been anything but romantic. The two have a very interesting employer-employee relationship that is so entertaining to see. she can model nude for him, but he would think nothing of her; he can point out Kizuna's lack of womanhood, but she would think of him as impotent. it's quite endearing to see these two interact whenever they do, because it's just funny. Maybe they develop romantic feelings for each other; maybe not. but the manga has been great so far because of them (add Yuki to the equation).

Oh Yuki is someone very interesting, too. a love triangle, maybe? :P

The first chapter has been a setup for the manga. We might see the plot starting to become more and more important. The title makes me think that the manga would have something to do with the tenants of the Birdcage Manor. From the few glimpses we had so far, they may be as weird and strange and interesting as I imagine they would be. We will see, I guess.