View Single Post
Old 2011-11-22, 02:02   Link #79
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
And moe wasn't the first to do it, nor is it the most effective. The Evangelion and Gundam franchises are better at it.
Don't forget that Evangelion caused an explosive inflation for the otaku market through moe, as well as solidifying the famous "quiet girl" archetype that is popular today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I somewhat disagree with you here. I personally find that sexual fanservice is very often distracting from the plot. In some cases, it's even distracting from what's happening on-screen at the very same time.

Something like Strike Witches, or yes, the Negima manga, I find extremely hard to get into because it's throwing loud* sexual fanservice at me at the very same time as it's throwing serious action scenes at me, and it just causes a nasty clash for me. For me, it's kind of like if Shakespeare tried to insert a lot of comedic relief into his play's finest moments of high drama.
I can't blame you for disagreeing. Fanservice, especially the magnitude of fanservice seen in Negima, is certainly an acquired taste. After a while of reading Negima, I got slightly desensitized to the constant fanservice and began to look beyond it and greatly appreciate the characters and plot. Even now, I still think some of the fanservice is distracting in a few of the focal moments of Negima. And of course, how suitable the use of fanservice in an anime or manga should be is debatable and varies depending on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Going back to The Bechdel Test, it just occurred to me that Madoka Magica passes this incredibly well. The show is literally chock-full of two or more female characters conversing over serious, weighty issues that have little-to-nothing to do with a man or men.
What's amusing is that Madoka Magica comes dangerously close to failing the Reverse Bechdel Test, with Kyousuke's doctor talking to him in one scene barely making it pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Madoka is a show that polarises the new school and old school. New school generally likes it, old school generally despises it. I know because I've spoken to plenty of old school fans over the last year and they tell me shows like Madoka are why they've given up on anime. Madoka pushes all the right buttons for the current crop. For the crop that came off of the 1998 wave, Madoka is the exact opposite of what they want. Not saying whcih way people should go on it - but I am saying Madoka is a show that typifies the changes in what anime fans want now and wanted 10 years ago.
What exactly made them dislike it? I'm sure that some people who wish for a heavier plot in their anime would like Madoka Magica because it has just that.