View Single Post
Old 2012-12-17, 16:29   Link #21
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Correction, those weren't OVA's but movies.
Pfft, in the same way Denpa Teki no Kanojo episodes were "movies." Sure, the videos themselves are drawn out, but there's no overarching theme to it all except the main characters' personal interactions. To call it a movie series doesn't quite do it justice (unless you factor in long-game stories like, say, Saw, but even that stretches it in a way that seems too weak). Besides, Higurashi could by design be considered a string of OVA's. We even recommend that newcomers watch the series one arc at a time, not pausing from episode to episode. If Higurashi were to ever have a remake from the ground up (purely hypothetically), I think it would be rather easy to emulate Garden of Sinners' storytelling style and make each arc an OVA (or to fit your definition, a full film).

I specifically say "OVA" to distance the franchise from the live-action movies, since the story ended up being chopped, muddled, limited to 1 question/answer arc, and vastly reworking scenes. The meaning of it all got left on the cutting room floor, and that's just inexcusable, especially when the arc episodes themselves could basically just be strung together.

But I digress. The story and pacing still needs tweaking from the original works, but then again, that's the easy part. You'd still need a competent and dedicated director, proper voice acting talent, an outstanding animation unit, and an inspired sound department. That's a rare breed these days. Even Another couldn't quite get the formula right. That's why (sadly), we may need to just be satisfied with what we have. We don't need DEEN being DEEN and dragging the franchise down for the sake of more views.