View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 00:18   Link #1319
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
I watched 2 episodes of Tamako Market this week, and was very unimpressed. It just felt kind of shallow, like it was being made by a group of students who were assigned some homework and tried to get done with it quickly.

What I think is that KyoAni's animation used to be very good, when they were making the Key "trilogy", and Haruhi. But since then, there was a visible drop. It's easy to realize this when you compare the episode when Haruhi is singing God Knows with the last episode of K-On, when the band is playing.

Besides, there's also Lucky Star, for example. You can't really say it had amazing animation. It gets the job done, all right, but it's not difficult to get the job done with such a simplistic art style. And the same applies to Nichijou.

And one of my main beefs is that recently, every series they've been making feels "K-Onified", specially the character designs, which all look the same. I'm watching Little Busters nowadays, and sometimes I'm glad it's being made by JC Staff. The animation may not be in the levels of Clannad and Air, but it's still better than if it was being made by current-day KyoAni.
I agree that KyoAni's animation has a very recognizable look to it, partly due to the studio doing minimal outsourcing/freelancing. But I wouldn't go as far to say that the "character designs ... all look the same".

Images
I don't own this picture, but it illustrates the different art styles quite well
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And I was really blown away by Hyouka and Nichijou's animation and art. I thought that their animation was more consistent and better on average than any of the previous TV series animated by KyoAni that I've seen. And both series looked very different in art style from K-On/Tamako Market, as well as having a difference in approach to animation styles.

I hope I don't sound like a KyoAni fanboy in this post. Their recent conversion from a studio that merely does contract work to a studio that creates its own special IP to animate has resulted in a few very esoteric anime that I can't say I truly enjoyed (Hyouka was the only show I watched by them lately that I can call "good"). But I do think that their animation has become especially refined in recent years.