View Single Post
Old 2009-06-17, 19:47   Link #20121
Sol Falling

'xcuse me for interruptin'. Back to Suzakallen for a moment.

Everyone seems to be on the same page that Suzaku is willing to accept his punishment and live out his life as Zero, and as thus is not likely to turn to Kallen for support (much less Nunally). The point is, this kinda mindset ('I deserve to be punished, I should throw away my life and happiness.') is unhealthy, not good, and possibly unsustainable.

Personally, I don't believe Suzaku is 'satisfied' carrying Euphie in his heart. Suzaku's time with Euphie was very brief. She never had the chance to give him anything, some strength to carry on living with kindness and happiness, before she was taken away. That's why, to Suzaku, she only became a motive for revenge. By the end of the series, Suzaku has succeeded in avenging Euphie by leading his best friend to willingly commit suicide, at the cost of great tragedies like the bombing of Tokyo. Despite world peace and everything, this isn't an achievement by any means. For Suzaku, Euphie and what he has done for her have only become all the more reason to punish himself.

The idea of Suzakallen is thus somewhat unbalanced. The thing is, people are right when they say Kallen is satisfied with her memory of Lelouch; at least moreso than Suzaku. Kallen is living a peaceful life like Lelouch wanted her to, in a world Lelouch gave up his life for, and I certainly believe (like many Kalulu shippers) that she could be happy with just that. In essence, what this means then is that Suzakallen would primarily be about Kallen giving, and Suzaku recieving. Kallen would be the one chasing Suzaku, trying to tell him he doesn't have to be so hard on himself, and offering to share his burden. And while Kallen would certainly be well suited to this role (like blade said, she's knows about the weight of Zero's mask, and as I noted, her unrestrained and forward nature could really help Suzaku loosen up), the question is: how willing would Kallen be to play it?

Personally, I can get behind the idea. Showing more of Kallen's empathic character would do a lot for her in my eyes, and a happier ending for Suzaku would really mean a lot. But then that's the thing: a lot of Kallen's characterization and fan conception is about her being a supporter or protector of her own (friends, family, heritage) than somebody who reaches out to others. So it feels like quite a few people wouldn't like this idea even beyond who they're primarily shipping.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote