View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 10:41   Link #85
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Or part time waitresses with money problems.

Or some small time delinquent. He does have a side which likes... pushing boundaries, or maybe breaking rules.

Which isn't weird, for a guy with his job.
All of which beats ending up imprisoned and eventually blown apart cheap children's cartoon style because you offend someone high up's ideal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarake View Post

I was trying to rationalize their behavior, because on first impression their reactions to the things that have happened to them made zero sense to me. I tried to imagine how I and other people I knew well would react if the same crap happened to us, and it was always totally different.

For example, if I were Masaoka, and the system has deprived me of my property, freedom, family relations, and even dignity, there is no way I could ever muster the energy, morale, self-motivation, efficiency, dedication and tenacity that the real Masaoka displays on the job. I wouldn't joke or smile because I'd be perpetually pissed. What was especially galling to me was that Masaoka was protecting and implementing the very system that reduced him to his current, pitiable state. If that were me I would be hating on anything Sybil-related, and if i ever showed up for work it would be for the sole purpose of sabotage and revenge.

Moreover, we know from Rin's example that armed rebellion and insurrection against the establishment is an available option. Why aren't any of the enforcers choosing this option, given that Sybil has treated each of them worse than Rin? Why isn't there more of a backlash against Sybil?

The funny thing is I never once found Masaoka unrealistic, and still easily connect to and identify with him as a character. The same is true with most of the other regulars. So go figure.
For Masaoka, it seems more like he's weary than genuinely happy. When he stopped raging, his CC stabilized, but that does not mean he really openly embraced it than say "screw it...I'm too tired, there's just no point"

Enforcers are part of the Bureau. They are most likely scanned more than anyone else. No room for backlash there. And given what we know about the eventual fate of latents and what Kou said when recruiting Yayoi...it may be a survival of the fittest for them. Predator thinking if you will. IE they really have become what Sybil feared they would become thanks to Sybil.