View Single Post
Old 2013-03-19, 08:50   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... you didn't say if having a dub is important.

Based on what anime you've already watched I'd say:

Cross Game
Clannad
and Bunny Drop

Cross Game has the advantage of having a very strong first episode. It's also one of the two masterpieces by Adachi, a writer known for his appeal to both men and women. Cross Game is best described as a combination of The Wonder Years (or Boy Meets World) with baseball romance classics like For The Love Of The Game. It's available streamed on both the Viz channel and Hulu. However, it does have a older style of animation (despite just coming out a couple years ago), and there is no English dub.

Clannad was done by KyoAni, the same studio that did Haruhi and K-On, so she'll probably like the animation. The strongest part of the show is generally acclaimed as the second season After Story. However, the first season is good too, just different. The first season is a school based romantic comedy, heavy on the comedy. You can find plenty of "Funny Clannad" clips on Youtube. After Story focuses on the romance, and drops the comedy in favor of some serious drama. Has some terrific music. Has a dub, though I've never watched it.

Bunny Drop has a strong first episode, and I think you'll both enjoy it. Doesn't have a dub, and it looks like Crunchyroll stopped streaming it (at least to non-premium members).

However, based on your TV shows I'd suggest the following:

Madoka Magica
and Crest of the Stars

Madoka Magica is the best among recent anime. I'm sure you've heard of it, maybe even watched it. It has a very strong opening five minutes. Being a dark Magical Girl show designed to appeal to adults, I think that it should appeal to your partner. Oh and that Official Trailer? Not deceptive at all, not at all... trust me Movie Trailer kind of spoils it though. Has amazing music, animation is great during the witch scenes. Has a good English dub.

Crest of the Stars is from 2000, and is one of the better classic Space Opera's out there. Well developed characters, with both a strong male lead and strong female lead that have good chemistry. If she likes Battlestar Galactica she might like this one. Has a dub, but I haven't heard it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2013-03-20 at 07:31.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote