View Single Post
Old 2010-09-27, 03:05   Link #787
DangerMouse

Thanks for the breakdown, finally got to listen.

As far as who should get it I agree with the positive recommendations so far, if you're a fan of the 00 music you should probably enjoy it, and if you want more new music that really fits 00 but don't mind paying for nice new versions of old favorites, if you only want new music and that's it it's not quite as clear cut since along with some really nice new stuff maybe a little less than half of the new stuff is grittier music which seems quite appropriate given the minor spoilers I've read and as has been previously mentioned but will probably be more up to personal playlist tendencies.

I think a bunch of the original movie songs in the first group are quite good, my current favorites so far are probably
Spoiler:
. Perhaps another one or two original fast pieces to go with those to balance out all the new "suspense" pieces would have addressed any stand-alone listening concerns over whether or not there's enough of a balance of the memorable music coming from original pieces or remixes for a full-price purchase for some since even several of the non-suspense original tracks seem to favor mood-setting/revelation pieces so even with several excellent new action songs they might be a bit outnumbered to some.

I agree about the remixes, not only are they really well done but at least if they were going to bring songs back I think they/Kenji Kawai thankfully also chose most of the right ones that should make it "feel" like a proper part of 00 rather than just "because" there has to be remixes so that's good, for example definitely eternally grateful for the fresh
Spoiler:

I agree about the moody "horror" pieces, not crazy about them in the standalone soundtrack sense but given the small amount of spoilers I've read I actually think they will probably be quite effective when not standing on their own, though if they had been more memorable in standalone fashion the excellent new tracks that do stand alone would probably feel more properly balanced with the remixes, but I agree these suspense pieces will probably get less listens on their own compared to the new and remixed action/emotional/setting pieces.

All in all, just as a first impression, I think Kenji Kawaii did a rather good job of bringing a new soundtrack that feels like the next piece of 00 to the movie in both forms integrating the previous chapter's music with the new like for S2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
I'm actually finding the remix pieces to be the best part of the soundtrack, and that's a huge shame. Still a good listen, just that i know Kawai can do better. Ah well.
As just music to some extent I probably agree as I'm loving the remixes as well as the stand-alone friendly new songs but when linked with the movie until I see it I'm also left thinking that on some level it may also be the nature of the beast with what sounds like such a dramatic movie, a good number of the new tracks are more dramatic and/or low and suspenseful than standalone or "catchy" and yet there are a number of excellent new action and emotional songs so I think for the actual movie the balance might be on the mark but you might be right about the standalone soundtrack on a regular playlist run somewhat favoring the sweet remixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I know we're on the discussion of the 00 movie OST right now, but have you guys heard the piano renditions of some of the 00 OPs on YouTube? Some of them are pretty fantastic! Here're some.
Daybreak's Bell
Namida no Mukou
Trust You
Only one I can't find is Unlimited Sky.
Any really good one done for the second OP?
Loved that one too along with Daybreak's Bell and OP3.
Edit: The mask is really totally freaky but the "Ash Like Snow" (OP2) played with violin linked in those youtube videos is pretty cool sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurifanboy View Post
I finally got a hold of the soundtrack. So far I like tracks like envoy from Jupiter with the Gregorian chant like chorus/humming. Heart of Feldt and Transient Peace are nice albeit short piano tracks, which are always my favorite type, those with piano.
Yeah, the gregorian chant-like stuff has been fantastic to me throughout all the soundtracks. While I listen to the faster songs more often I agree the movie OST has some more very nice new 00 piano pieces to add to the nice ones from TV soundtracks.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2010-09-27 at 03:35.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote