View Single Post
Old 2009-07-01, 18:06   Link #72
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

What the... that was an episode? @_@
It literally felt like random clips put together to me.

Okay first off, they skipped way too much. I didn't think they would skip THAT much, I mean... are ALL of the viewers supposed to know what happens? Are they basically telling everybody to "Play the visual novel first to make sense of this"? Because that's what it feels like to me. This is pretty ridiculous. I honestly didn't expect them to just put things together like this. The pacing is waaaaay too fast. It's as if they were literally racing just to get it done (they probably were).

The animation was awful to me, not awful like Higurashi season 1 awful... but awful in a different way. The designs for Higurashi weren't that great, but I don't remember the animation being this weird during normal moments (can't speak for those psycho moments however). In Umineko the animation isn't smooth at all, the characters don't flow from one movement to the next that well. I'm not expecting Haruhi Suzumiya animation, but it feels like they could have done so much more. In one scene I remember seeing Rosa looking calm, randomly yelling, and then going back to put her tea cup down calmly. I actually find a few things to be laughable. ^^;

They look too intense when they yell. I'd understand if there was buildup or something to let the viewer understand WHY the character is so upset. But we're just tossed into the middle of a scene. I just don't really like the animation OR character design for the anime so far. I mean, since when were Kanon and Kumasawa so tall? I would have figured that they'd both be around Jessica's height, with Kanon being either the same height or only a LITTLE taller and Kumasawa being shorter. Since their heights aren't specifically said in the game, I guess that's no problem but since when was Battler so short?

I liked the music. In fact, that's the best part about the anime so far to me. Even though some music was used in the wrong spot, it's an anime, not the original, so I can understand that.

The sad part is that the only scene that I really liked was the one between Rosa and Maria. I actually LIKE them in this episode, which isn't the feeling I got from the original. I hated both Rosa AND Maria in the original, but in the anime I like them? I don't know if it's because they did a (imo) crappy job with everything else... or just because Rosa and Maria are more charming in anime form. But it just feels wrong to me.

This episode gets a 5/10 from me. I don't care if anybody thinks I'm being too harsh, I thought it was pretty awful so I think I'm being generous with even that. I was looking at the clock to see when the episode would finally end, that's how much I didn't like it. I just hope that they do a better job in the future. When it comes to the normal scenes they didn't do well at all, but maybe once the murders and magic all starts, they'll be able to pull it off? ._.;

OP: The song is wonderful. The animation and sequences on the other hand, not so much... Jessica and Shannon look odd in the window part. And I can't really see any pattern or meaning behind a couple of clips shown, I loved the part with Maria. But that's about it. The one part focuses on Beato way too long, only to have her ultimately do nothing. The adults got nice pictures with heavy shading, but that being their only appearance in the OP seems a bit like a let down to me.
6/10

ED: I don't like the song, I don't like the animation, and I don't like how it introduces the title of the next episode in the middle of it. Overall very disappointing to me. Only shows Battler and Beato at the end, which I guess makes sense. But it just feels too empty for me.
1/10

Just... bleh...