View Single Post
Old 2012-12-18, 19:13   Link #279
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
And while I don't much mind seeing the Reputation system disappear, I don't think there's much basis for the viewpoint some people hold about reputation crippling good or honest discussion. The amount of people so scared of receiving a negrep that they shy away from posting honestly is small, I'm sure, just as I doubt that the number of people that are so starved for pos reps that they'll tweak their opinion to something more 'acceptable' is more than a very small minority... this just seems to be one of those widely-held 'common truths' that isn't really true at all. 1 out of 100 people might've had their posting habits influenced by reputation, but otherwise I doubt anything much ever resulted from it aside from the occasional 'Thank you' for pos reps or bitchfits for negative ones.
This.

We're worrying about things that sounds like they are problems if it's applied to everyone, but it's not even close. The abolish reputation system could use lots of tweaks for sure, starting with rep power. But at the end of the day, it's something that's fun to have and all of the negatives are pretty much overblown in my view (as a poster). And I'd like to have a different, more fleshed out version of it in the future. There has been lots of good suggestions so far, and one of these days someone should organize them together for a proposal.

EDIT: Never mind.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2012-12-18 at 19:30.