View Single Post
Old 2008-04-10, 00:45   Link #32
TheRainbowConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voduar View Post
So, the question to me is, Does he realize that he is rescuing mechs that were in the process of slaughtering civilians? When I first saw the series, I assumed he had to realize that, but having seen a few of his defenders, it occurred to me that he might not tumble to the fact that most of Zero's attacks have occurred during anti-civilian missions. Answering that, which will hopefully be happening this season, will make Suzaku's motivations much clearer.
I think that he's developed an incredible capacity for rationalization as a defense mechanism. Why are things the way they are? Because that is how order requires it to be. If might (and not justice) makes order, and order makes happiness, then he's going to enforce order at the end of a VARIS rifle. So yes, I think he does realize that he's helping units engaged in senseless slaughter of civilians, and I truly think that he believes that what they're doing is wrong. But, he has wrapped himself up in this mindframe where he'll still go along with blatant injustice.

And I don't hate him. He is an otherwise strong man who has faced intense pressure...and buckled greatly. His actions don't make him particularly likable, and it's still hard to empathize with him, but it's easy to see how very broken and human he is. And that is what makes him a very interesting character. He's no superhuman (minus speedhax and wallhax). He's a huge enigma, and I constantly want to know more about the parts of his life that we don't know about (pre-Lelouch and between the ages of 10 and 17). At any rate, he makes a far more interesting antagonist than Gundam's straight-laced-best-friend (a la Athrun) or, even worse, generic nihilist #57 (see: Rau, Rey, Zechs, etc.).
TheRainbowConnection is offline   Reply With Quote