Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-24, 23:39   Link #10027
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Is this the kind of attitude you're getting from allot of people in Seoul? I'd imagine that people would be reacting rather sharply to having actual South Korean territory attacked...especially with all the unresolved tension following the Cheonan's sinking.

If the Korean youth start developing these kind of attitudes, then it's hard to imagine Korean reunification happening in the next few decades. By then all the old people who directly knew someone on the other side of the 38th will all be dead, and the new leadership will be people who grew up viewing North Korea as this other entity threatening their way of life. I have a hard time seeing there being much drive for reunification by then.
There are two types of nationalism in Korea today: "Daehan" nationalism (nationalism for ROK) and pan-Korean nationalism. Those two are combined for a lot of people, and in a recent survey, over 60% advocated reunification. However, the catch was that it would be a complete ROK hegemony instead of an equal reunification.

Basically, Daehan nationalism has swallowed pan-Korean nationalism for most people: Any reunification must be to the benefit of the Republic of Korea. Otherwise, it can be delayed until the conditions are met.

On my personal view: I'm a pan-Buyeo nationalist, advocating a union between Japan and Korea in a EU format.