Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-25, 09:19   Link #10038
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
It's good Italy has had a bit of stability in the subject of presidencies, as it hasn't done very well since WWII in having a long term leader. I'm just amazed it happens to be old pervy at the steering wheel still.
It's quite unfortunate indeed that it had to be an old perv but he has admittedly done a better job than most people would've if they had stayed in power for as long as Berlusconi (although I very much doubt anything like that could've happened and Romano Prodi is proof). I really don't know if anyone else who is in the political spectrum in Italy right now will last for very long. Fini is looking strong but only because he practically betrayed Berlusconi by breaking ties with him and changing the name of his own party to cast away any semblance he used to have to fascist ideals. He's not gonna last long if he stays in power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
I'm still scratching my head as to how Portugal can be saved from this sort of crisis. The only thing that comes into mind is a very large seaport and transport hub to make use of it's position on the Atlantic Ocean. Although one problem there is having the break-of-gauge for trains between Spain and France limits this ideology (although Spain are working on this). Anyone else have any ideas on what Portugal could try and do in the future?
A remote idea would be to strengthen ties with Brazil. I've noticed how a lot of companies are taking an interest in emerging markets and considering Portugal and Brazil speak the same language, I imagine that developing business ties between the two would benfit them both, especially with Brazil showing a bit of promise in the emerging markets. If this is done along with your idea, I think Portugal could do much better but mine is very remote and I admit some ignorance on my part with regards to the specifics of Portugal's situation.