View Single Post
Old 2016-06-22, 19:55   Link #58
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's a sixth motivation, going by their words, and that's "liberating" other planets in the Brisignr Cluster. However, this is the one area where their actions obviously contradict their words. Conquering alien planets, and through the use of widespread mind control (i.e. Var) is obviously the very opposite of "liberating".
I have nothing more to say on the rest of your post at the moment, but on this, here's my problem with what you have written.

When we talk about the 'motivations' of an actor, we should be talking about them in terms of how they think, not in terms of how we interpret their actions. If they truly believe that they are liberating the cluster from influence/domination by NUN, then what we think of their methods for doing so does not matter in this regard. It's their reasoning behind their aims and methods that matters.

I'm not saying that you can't judge Windermere for their actions and argue that they're not justified, based on your own moral values. However, if you want to understand their motivations, then you have to understand what they mean by 'liberating', not what you mean by 'liberating'.

So what are Windermere trying to liberate the cluster from, and, more importantly, WHY? The hints have been given in the show, and exactly what was destroyed by the dimension eater on Windermere seems to be key.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes