View Single Post
Old 2016-06-22, 20:33   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I might reply to karice's latest post later on, but for now, I wanted to share some different thoughts. Something that occurred to me after piecing all of those quotes together.

While I don't find Windermere particularly sympathetic, I do think they're well-written. Kawamori and Nemoto deserve credit for how consistent Windermere's top people are. And I also think their internal disagreements make a lot of sense considering the roles and backgrounds of the people involved.

Roid is his people's top government official (Gramia being actual royalty). Keith is his people's top soldier.

It makes a lot of sense for the top government official to care more about things like image, and prestige, and negotiation leverage, and public perception. So Roid focuses a lot on the sorts of things that glamorize the Windermere war effort, and adds the sort of pretext to it that politicians love to have.

As a soldier, Keith's motivations are less flamboyant and more straightforward. Like many soldiers, he is motivated by the losses he has endured, and he wants to make the enemy pay for what they've done. He doesn't necessary care much about the politicians' lofty pretexts.