View Single Post
Old 2007-07-06, 07:17   Link #16
LS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
My advice would be to never delay a release because of waiting for multiple languages. It can easily turn into an infinite delay, making everyone on the project impatient and start losing interest, eventually leading to the project dying. At least that has been the fate of those two multi-language sub projects I have participated in.
This is why deadlines exist. I've been in charge of the Dutch translation of Honobono's recent The Bridge over Dreams, so I've had the chance to see how things work in a multi-language project too. All the translators were basically told to have the script ready by the end of the month. After this deadline I noticed a minor error in my ASS formatting which caused it not to display correctly when using libass, but I was told: "Unless we spot some faults in the English script, we're not going to include your fix." Which was totally fair. 'Luckily' for me, some mistakes were found in the English script, so my fix was included in later RCs, but other translators later on were simply told that their changes in the script were not going to make the final release. Projects like this can work fine as long as there are some strict deadlines.
LS5 is offline   Reply With Quote