View Single Post
Old 2008-05-28, 05:14   Link #213
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Well, Luca and Michael are teasing Alto mainly based on seeing Ranka's barrage of cellphone messages to him in episode 4. They do it because it's yet another thing to tease him about, more than anything else.

Notice that Michael poses a similar question to Ranka just a bit earlier. While Ranka is surprised, her reaction is much more neutral in comparison. She definitely is interested in finding out what's going on between Sheryl and Alto, but she also makes it clear through her tone that Michael hasn't quite understood her intentions.
It might be too straightforward to say this but Michael, Luca and Nanase do pick up that Alto and Ranka are close even if the two don't have any clue about it. Like you said, they wouldn't tease Alto if they don't.

While it's true Ranka did say, "It's not like that" her behaviour, facial expressions tell us otherwise. It's fairly evident Ranka is jealous that Alto's getting closer to Sheryl. That's all it is. People express more of themselves through Nonverbal communication instead of verbal.

Which brings me back to Nanase....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
There's nothing wrong in Nanase being taken aback; but she gives her feelings away through her facial expression and tone of voice as she tries to deny it.
Since Nonverbal > Verbal, it doesn't mean that every pattern of behaviour is absolute. If we're going to compare Ranka's denial of jealousy to her behavioral patterns lately, we're bound to see that the girl really is jealous--in a very passive way I might add. While in Nanase's case, the girl blushes practically at everything. She blushed when Ranka held her hand, she blushed when Sheryl commented on her body, she blushed when she was teased about Alto. -_-; lol There's not even any indication that Nanase is crushing on Alto. I really don't think she indignantly stood up to Sheryl just because Sheryl is taking Alto away from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
Regardless, I think that scene is more designed to reflect how easily misunderstood Sheryl is, despite her best intentions. The later scene of Ranka lost in a sea of Sheryl pictures is much more effective at conveying the idea that you mentioned.
Nobody said they can't reinforce the idea over and over. I also think that's another hint of them conveying 'the' message.

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-05-28 at 05:34.