Old 2011-09-11, 11:00   Link #2
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs View Post
Hi fansubbers

NOTES
4) Fansubs offer translation notes on top of the screen to explain Japanese words, puns or to give other information.

a) Do you find them a useful tool to learn more about Japanese culture and language ?
b) Do you think they are a nuisance because together with the subtitle at the bottom of the screen it is too much information to read?
c) Would you like to see translation notes in professionally translated anime and other film genres?
I personally don't like notes at the top of the screen. I prefer all the notes be in the credits where I'm not trying to watch the show and read the dialog subtitles. If used during the episode I prefer very short, directly under the spoken subtitles(different color smaller than the dialog subs). I've seen some groups use a paragraph at the top of the screen to describe what was said.(blocked 1/3 of the screen - not to mention there was no way to read that much in the short time it was up.) First try to translate what was said so you don't need a note in the first place. If you can't be quick and concise with a not at the bottom put them in the ending credits. Just my preference and style that I use. Every group has a preference.