View Single Post
Old 2011-11-30, 23:47   Link #185
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It's ok for ideas and things to change in an industry but what I think happened in these years in particular for me was not so much a shift in market to what tastes are getting catered to, but more so the market actually cutting down on who exactly they're catering to. Instead of catering to A, B, C, and D, they were choosing to only go for audience D. I didn't really view this as healthy for the industry personally, so I'm very glad to see in 2011 again shows that are starting to be able to appeal to more than just D.
Well, I'd look at this from the alternate angle: if this is so, what does this say about the audience, and perhaps more importantly what does it say about the market at that time? I mentioned previously about the American market collapse that happened in that timeframe (which had a measurable impact on how anime was funded), so I think it's pretty clear that the market reacted and re-trenched. But even in that action/reaction, it stands to reason that they re-trenched into the perceived "safest bets" at the time. So it still does tell us something about the anime audience at the time (or at least the market of patrons who were buying stuff). It's certainly true that the audience doesn't only have "one voice", and them targeting a wider variety of voices does tend to suggest a willingness to take more risks. But who they bet on when the going gets tough is still a valuable insight.