Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-04, 01:16   Link #29219
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Well, it wasn't my shift and I was out at a party last night when the news broke. So, yeah, that's why I didn't post about the latest Egyptian coup.

Anyways, the story has moved on:

Egypt army confirms it is holding Mursi
Quote:
Cairo (July 4, Thu): Egypt's army is "preventively" holding ousted president Mohamed Morsi after his ouster by an army decree, a senior army official told AFP.

"He is being held preventively for final preparations," the official said, suggesting that Mr Mursi might face formal charges over accusations made by his opponents.

Mr Mursi was detained along with senior aides after issuing a defiant call for supporters to protect his elected "legitimacy", in a recorded speech hours after the military announced he had been ousted yesterday.

The military official said "we had to confront it at some point, this threatening rhetoric... He succeeded in creating enmity between Egyptians".

At least 50 people were killed in clashes in the days leading to massive protests on Sunday (June 30) calling for his departure.

That prompted the army to issue the president a 48-hour ultimatum to find an agreement with the protesters.

Mr Mursi has been summoned for questioning by a court over his escape, along with other inmates, from prison during the revolt that overthrew his predecessor Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

The military official suggested he may now be charged by prosecutors in the case.

AFP

By the way, happy Fourth of July to all Americans out there. I thought there was an Independence Day thread, but I can't seem to find it any more.