View Single Post
Old 2006-08-14, 17:43   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
I really don't think that it would be all that far-fetched for there to be a merman DF user. Imagine if a really dumb one (like Hachi) ate a DF... then it would lead to a hilarious running gag of said merman jumping into the ocean to swim but always sinking to the bottom (since he's a merman, he still wouldn't have any trouble breathing underwater). I can easily imagine Oda doing something like that. XD
So not much more than comical relief, kinda like that skypeia priest... ya i guess i can see that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
Merman probably rarely fight under water because all the things to be conquered are above water. I'm sure the ultimate goal of every bad guy is to be the ruler of many if not all things. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jimbei ate a cursed fruit. You said you doubt any merman would sacrifice power for another power with disadvantages. Merman aren't invinsible, even Usopp beat a merman. Your telling me that a merman would rather fight with his hands and feet then have the ability such as turning someone into ice like Aokiji, or have gum gum powers like Luffy? You don't think there is one merman that has the power of a cursed fruit? Comeon we've seen guns and swords with the power of a cursed fruit. Why would a merman having the power of a cursed fruit be so farfetched.
Is it really all that rare to fight underwater? the grandline is moslty waters, and a lot of battle occurs out at sea; out there, the mermen gain a HUGE advantage due to their abilities in the water... Instead of relying on ship battles with cannons mermen can jsut swim quickly out towards the enemy ship and then either board if they want to capture it, or sink it from underneth with no way for the ship to defned itself... Out at sea a merman is possibly the worst nightmare of a DF user (after seastone that is)... A strong merman can easily sink the ship the DF user is standing on, and while it's underwater, there is little most DF users (heck most humans) could do to stop them... before they know it the DF user is heading for a watery grave...

I wouldn't be surprised if that's waht Jimbei(pirate) was feared for... With Shcikibukai level strength, he could sink ships with ease, and the ship's crew wouldn't be able to do anything to protect themselves... most DF users can't fight something underwater... and if Jimbei is a monster on land, he'll be a demon in the sea, so even most powerful humans wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to fight him in the water... Very few poeple are capable of fighting something like that, and Jimbei would loose that huge advantage if he ate a DF

The merman have a serious advatage when it comes to battling out at sea, it's hard to give that up... Sure everything that's worth conquering is on land, but most things worth conquering also relies heavily on the waters surrounding them... Control the water, and you can seriously weaken them; making the land battle even easier... not to mention, the best way to rule multiple islands is by controling the water between all of them...

Quote:
If a gun and a sword can get df abilites than anyone/thing can get df powers.
"can" does not translate to "would"