View Single Post
Old 2014-01-12, 18:16   Link #97
Redone

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain View Post
i legitimately only made an account on here to tell you to never, EVER compare ADOLF HITLER to a fictional character like annie. thats actually so disrespectful and stupid. and i have the right to say that being of jewish ancestry. hitler killed millions of people, burnt children simply because they didmt fit his criteria, he launched the entire world, REAL WORLD into a bloodbath dont ever compare something like that to a real world monstrosity. ive read the manga, and yes annie has some evil-or-bad attributes/things shes done but to compare her to someone like hitler is absolutely stupid and idiotic and i cant believe what i just read. get a grip, go talk to some war veterans or holocaust survivors then come back on this thread and rant about how this fictional character is like hitler. dont incorporate a war and historical figure so horrific and world-changing into an argument like this ever again. ridiculous
I don't think anyone here is trying to make light of genocide. Sometimes artists and authors use people who have existed in history as a source of inspiration for their own fictional purposes, it's just creative license. If a comparison can be made, for the sake of example, there's no reason not to use the comparison, others can argue that it's mistaken or inaccurate.

If I am understanding you right, and what you would like done, then basically if could extrapolated that you'd rather there never be a book or movie that has a character with sinister plans for a population. There would be a lot of games, movies, book, paintings, and so forth that wouldn't exist by the standards you are setting.

If anything, though I would argue not in the case of Attack on Titan, we should be glad people are still using the second world war as inspiration, or it would only become a distant memory and quickly be forgotten (not many holocaust survivors or veterans around today to tell the stories). My grandparents were in that war, my grandfather tried war criminals in Holland afterwords. I've read the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Believe me I know those stories are horrifying. All the more reason to keep them around while we still can, even if that means a comparison or use of inspiration to a fictional character. The soon we forget and stop making those analogies, the sooner we're likely to have a repeat of the event.

This is an anime forum, nobody is debating Hitlers intentions.

And (not trying to start and argument here) I wouldn't tell people not to express a thought.
Redone is offline   Reply With Quote