View Single Post
Old 2008-05-25, 13:22   Link #271
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Cerrian: why would the macross side control the range? I'd think it would be whoever is faster and more maneuverable, and how are we to determine who that is?
Without having to delve down into the technical specs for each mecha, it boils down to simple strategy and tactics of engaging your opponent outside or under their optimal weapon range/tracking and retreating when the situation becomes unfavorable. Someone who is faster and more maneuverable can dictate the range of the engagement, but they need to be significantly faster/maneuverable to be able to cut off the target's retreat option and force an engagement.

The reason I believe the Macross side has the ability to control the range and nature of an engagement with a Gundam is that to me it appears that the VFs and Gundams are on par in terms of speed and maneuverability (actually the VFs feel a bit more agile). Combine that with the flexibility of the VF's weapons payload, then I believe the VFs will almost always have the choice of where and when they want to engage a gundam as the gundam will never be able to cutoff a VF's retreat option nor will it force a VF to engage on Gundam's terms.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote