Thread: Xbox One
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-17, 15:15   Link #1478
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Where'd you get that? (in bold)

I think sometimes people make very strong statements without the facts. Wishful thinking.
Via Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/

Quote:
"One thing we could have done is drop it down to 128-bit bus, which would drop the bandwidth to 88 gigabytes per second, and then have eDRAM on chip to bring the performance back up again," said Cerny. While that solution initially looked appealing to the team due to its ease of manufacturability, it was abandoned thanks to the complexity it would add for developers. "We did not want to create some kind of puzzle that the development community would have to solve in order to create their games. And so we stayed true to the philosophy of unified memory."
The direction that Cerny decided against is precisely the one that the Xbone took.

As for better multi-platform games, the more powerful the console, the better the graphics are going to be. The PS4 is about 1.5x the power of the Xbone, so the difference there is pretty significant. Early on, Sony's superior development tools may make a difference as well. It's not wishful thinking - it's math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I understand it's just that

http://www.policymic.com/articles/48...says-microsoft

With the attitude they are displaying to me they are more than confident that they'll do good enough or even better than the PS4 despite all of these "noises"
If it were confidence, then all of the Microsoft executives would be on point with their messaging - each one of them would be repeating the same few points. What we're getting is that they're talking about all sorts of different points and often contradicting each other. This is panic - the preorder numbers, the sales projections, the production projections, and the way that their messaging has backfired are all beyond Microsoft's expectations, and I don't know if they have any idea for how to deal with it. When and if they stop making flubs and getting on point, we'll know that they have gotten their act together. Right now, it's the kind of material that will start showing up in business and marketing classes all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
The easier to code for comes from two things: the fact that PS4 doesn't have to juggle ESRAM, and because at least one developer has stated that PS4's development tools are more mature at the moment.
Game studios aren't supposed to let on that a platform they're developing for has issues, but Avalanche let that slip a couple of weeks ago.