Thread: Licensed Shokugeki no Soma [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-29, 22:51   Link #488
yuzen003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Once again a false analogy, because I highly doubt a customer will realize that the chicken used to make their Chicken McNuggets may not even be real meat.

Or if a customer happens to order orange juice from them, I doubt the customer would realize that the orange juice isn't actually made from real oranges.

The poor ingredients are not something Megumi chose but were given to her.
Consistency as a concept has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the ingredients, Chicken McNuggets could be made out of pork byproduct and as long as it had the same taste, texture, and appearance of what customers expect then it would pass the consistancy requirement. In this test consistency to the recipe was obviously one of the main factors the students were being evaluated on, she changed the recipe when she failed to procure ingredients of a good quality.

The test was never designed with a 100% pass rate and it's not fair to people who are slow because they couldn't get the ingredients, I agree. The bad cauliflower was thrown in there to ensure some people would fail because they were not fast enough to get one of the limited number of good ones and Shinomiya probably does take great enjoyment in failing people.

On the other hand as a consumer I've been in restaurants that you can't be sure on any given night if the food will be great, mediocre, or bad. I've also been to places that take a long time to cook my food and it has negatively impacted my opinion of those restaurants. I as a consumer can see the importance of consistency and speed in a chef which this test evaluates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Being able to cook consistently is important, but what's even more important is feeding the customer.

If this happened in an actual restaraunt, would you give the person who paid a lot of money to eat a refund after they waited at your restaraunt a long time, or would you give them the food Megumi cooked? If he's going to treat them as underlings, then he needs to behave like a chef. A chef's job is to give people food that's worth their money, not obsess over recipes.
Kind of why she failed, specifically the "waited at your restaraunt a long time", I've known people who will leave a restaurant if the wait is too long. The test was partially evaluating speed given slow students would be stuck with bad cauliflower.

Quote:
That's the thing, they DIDN'T have equal access to the ingredients or an equal chance to pass.

For example, if there were 100 students, the recipe required 1 cauliflower, and there were 150 cauliflowers there, with 10 being bad, then they would have equal access to the good and bad ingredients and an equal chance to pass, since everyone would have a choice between a good and bad cauliflower.
If there are 100 students, 90 good cauliflower and 10 bad everyone starts with a 90% chance of getting a good cauliflower, it's up to the students to actually get one though. Not all tests are designed to have 100% pass rates, it doesn't change the fact that they all started with the same odds.

Quote:
If it's a screening process, then why not just put a cap on the number of people that can pass, rather than sabotage?
Because Shinomiya is an unpleasent person who enjoys suffering. I'm not going to defend him, he's a horrible person, but the exam still tests for legitimate aspects of being a chef.

Last edited by yuzen003; 2013-04-29 at 23:05.
yuzen003 is offline   Reply With Quote