View Single Post
Old 2004-10-24, 02:19   Link #34
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
That's not the only thing that bothers people about the show. It's fake mahou shoujo and gives off a creepy voyeuristic feeling. It doesn't pay off with the same things a mahou shoujo series does. It doesn't even look right. I think a lot of CCS fans would dislike this show.An apt comparison -- Pretty Sammy is another fake mahou shoujo series.
Pretty funny calling both MAHOU SHOUJO Pretty Sammy and MAHOU SHOUJO Lyrical Nanoha "fake" MAHOU SHOUJO series, given that they are among the few that actually use MAHOU SHOUJO as part of the title.

Pretty Sammy was a spoof, fair enough (although the TV series was told fairly straight and had an interesting storyline). Komugi is a spoof and a half, for that matter. But Nanoha isn't, in fact after seeing four episodes, I'd say it's one of the more serious treatments I've seen in a tv series of the subject. I think it would be fair to call it a "fake" shoujo series, as it is emulating a shoujo appearance while clearly derived from a male oriented series. But as far as mahou shoujo goes, it's about as real as it gets...Nanoha and Fate are true madoushi with sorcerous powers and are an evolution of the traditions of the genre, which while mostly based in shoujo anime and manga, has occassionally crossed over into shounen territory, or even both (Mahou Tsukai Tai had both a shoujo manga series and a shounen manga one...the shoujo one had the better story, the shounen one the more anime-faithful art, for one example).

Just as shounen fans should get over their prejudices over shoujo, the opposite could be said as well. Last I checked, mahou shoujo means simply "magical girl" and much of the founding entries in the genre were either shounen anime (early 1970's Cutey Honey invented the transfoming superheroine with magic powers) or created by cross-genre creators such as Mitsuteru Yokoyama (Sally the Witch, perhaps the first "true" magical girl, along with his more typical shounen works Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28, Babel 2, etc) and Osamu Tezuka (Fushigi na Merumo--the definitive girl using her power to change to an older identity, along with his many establishing works in both shoujo and shounen).
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote