View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 18:22   Link #30
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading. The story has focused on test pilots because test pilots are what the story is about. Yes, Total Eclipse is a mere side-story to the real frontlines of the BETA war.

The fact that you were disinterested in the previous shenanigans (don't worry because I was, too) doesn't make the terrorists' reasoning right in the least. In fact, they're just a bunch of naive idiots who happen to be destroying precious resources and workforces. Test pilots are an asset in the war, as they perfect the technology and strategies used on the frontlines. In this war, knowing one's priorities are important; lesser human issues such as "equality" should wait until the BETA are gone.
It's been fairly obvious that the Yukon testbed has very little to do with anti-BETA testing, and more to do with groups of nations looking to get the upper hand and take each other out in a zero-sum game with the expectation that humanity will overcome the BETA, so which nation will be the one to be in a position of power to assume global hegemony. Sure, all the highschool hijinks and ham-handed direction/script don't portray it all very well, but this utopian fantasy that this is all about testing things for the frontline battle agains the BETA seems...misguided.

I never said what the rebels are doing is right, but the spirit behind what they are doing-like in most cases of terrorism-is hitting many succinct points. Though, I'm not sure it's really terrorism when you're hitting a military facility.

It's also obvious that Yuya is going to take some of those things to heart. He's seen the corruption and idiocy going on as the world burns (flashbacks to the soviet eishies, etc). He's certainly not going to go rebel on us, but if you look at all this dispassionately, this rebel attack is almost certainly a plot device to continue Yuya's evolution/transformation into the hero he's likely going to eventually become.

That all said, it sounds like you're familiar with the material already (I'm not), so it's probably anything but constructive to further this discussion. I have my opinion. Life goes on.
Also, cake.