View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 04:14   Link #58
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I assume it's also applicable to female characters, not just the male ones?

Well, I do find female MC's in general interesting, because 80% of the time the MC is always male. For example, Medaka. I haven't watched the anime yet, but I think I would like her because despite being overpowered, she's just as girly as any other anime female. Unlike some I heard of who don't feel or look like a woman at all.

So basically, what I really hate about overpowered characters is:

1. I don't find any explanation as to how did they get that strong to be insufficient to suspend disbelief. If it's received through training, they don't have to show the entire training process, just a good portion of it would be enough. If it's a power given to them, they could show their struggles to master their powers.

2. The intelligent ones (like Lelouch and Light) tend to flunk in the socials and morality departments. But it's just me thinking that media seems to portray intelligence as something evil and that morally upright characters are not capable of executing complex schemes.
Actually quite a bunch of stories with badass MCs I read have this, just that it might not be depicted properly in anime, or they might come much later in the story.

I originally believed that total badasses who own everything effortlessly ruins the story and makes it boring, until I came across a particular novel, which exceeds the definition of badass MCs by all standards (even when we compare to all the badass MCs animated till now, I believe). Surprisingly, due to the execution and setting and worldview and characters, I find it extremely intriguing and entertaining. Though without a doubt, it has garnered some hate, but IMHO, I believed that it's because the haters are blinded by their own belief (which I also previously had) that total badass MCs are bad, and not reading the story properly (and putting all the aspects together to form a more holistic opinion) or not reading far enough to understand the story to make the proper assessments.

Oh yeah, just for the record, I thought SAO was pretty good, but not great and way overrated IMO LOL. /runs and hides in the bushes

By the way, I hope you never took the posts from MAL and ANN seriously, because I never did. I personally find many of posters are either immature or shallow watchers of anime.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote