View Single Post
Old 2007-12-18, 15:23   Link #35
Jeiku

I have changed some of my opinions of the characters since I last evaluated them, so mind you that this post might contradict what I have said before. Also, people use the term "scum of the earth" rather lightly. Many others do far worse things than Makoto and you don't even need examples to figure that out. I guess the term is relative.

Watching his death may have been fun and all, but I think the death in general was extreme. It reminds me of all those stories where the blatantly evil antagonists die and suddenly with them gone it solves everybody's problems, except none of the characters in School Days fit in either "good" or "evil" groupings. They're all morally ambiguous, and while none of them are innocent, he did display some guilt in episode 12 of what he had done - even though he didn't even bother to do anything to fix it (you could vaguely compare Makoto to a chain smoker/drinker who knows what he's doing is apparently wrong, but can't break out of the habit easily). Considering that kiss he made in front of Sekai though, I'm probably giving him more credit than he deserves if I think that he's making a good effort to break out of it.

Anyway, no, I don't really think death was appropriate. Makoto needed to be taught a lesson - something nobody around him even bothered to do. The people around him know he's up to no-good, but the only thing Sekai ever did was ruin his dinner and gut him. Kotonoha was in her own little world, the milquetoast. Since Makoto himself is older than a child yet not anywhere near an adult, the other girls are about as much to blame as him.