View Single Post
Old 2008-04-01, 13:06   Link #295
Theowne
耳をすませば

Sorry, I still think it doesn't make much sense to deny that he had romantic feelings for Noe. Everything surrounding the break-up scene implies it. His brief dialogue with his father implies it. Same with the comparison between Hiromi and Shin's mother. What was the entire problem with Shin's parents? Shin's father had his heart "waver" like is implied in that brief scene. All of these surrounding scenes become far less meaningful if you believe that he had no romantic feelings, only sympathy or sadness for her, or brotherly affection.

Look at what Shin actually says and thinks. He has ample opportunity to feel sorry for Noe, or to tell her that he's sorry, or similar if he truly is sad only because he pities her and sympathizes with her. But hat's not what happened. He only spoke about himself. He spoke only about how he was affected by her, and that his "heart wavers". There was no sympathy or pity. It's not because Shin is self-centered, rather it's because this is an important decision and he's being honest. He is in love with Hiromi, but his heart wavers whenever he sees Noe, so he has to leave Noe. Then, outside, he boldly convinces himself of this once and for all so he can watch Noe leave and he can love Hiromi without wavering. This entire scene has so much strength because of that idea.

Quote:
He was convicted enough to rush out towards Hiromi at the end of episode 10, corny theatricals and all.
If rushing out is all that matters, in episode 12, he left Hiromi and rushed out towards Noe as well. I'm not saying that means anything, but it sure was similar to the scene at the end of episode 10, perhaps even a bit stronger since it made him lie to Hiromi in order to do it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..